Logo_header

Craftree Forum Tree > InTatters Forums for Shuttle and Needle Tatting > Renulek's tat-a-long doily 2012

Views: 19837

Renulek's tat-a-long doily 2012

F021e090509a545b9a72e368067ca336232ddf6b

Thread created on 1347194348 by kocuria.

Noavatar
S

Renulek has just posted the beginning of a new tat-a-long doily:

http://renulek.blogspot.com/2012/09/serwetka-frywolitkowa-sniezynkowa-rzad.html

considering her previous one turned out absolutely stunning, i was easily convinced by a girl at polish online stitch-and-bitch to join in the fun :) anybody cares to join us? from a beginner's point of view it's a fun way to pace yourself in the otherwise gruelling task of tatting something so huge

my take on the challenge:

alt

so, who's with us?

1e6f8a64e2af9ab805c69d70e85448cf81b54682
Cn
S

Oh, wish I could join in, but not this time. Your beginnings look very promising indeed. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Noavatar
S

Hi

I've sort of started, my tension is all over the place though so I'm going to have to start again :) Its been a while since I've done much tatting and I find I'm itching to do it, so now I have 2 projects on the go! (Added to the 4 crochet, 3 knitting, 5 beadwork, 9 cross stitch, full time work and full time study.....like I didnt have enough to do!) Here's hoping I'll be able to catch up and stay caught up when my latest assignment is done...which I really should be working on now....

F19fd0025560187f17100f94e57d428be0207a3b
Us
S

Welcome Caytlyn! Another multi-tasking tatter! It just shows you have a very active mind!

E4aa25a7d86d9f6c1670a25c71ac555665781aeb
Us
S

I've been watching and debating on it for the last couple weeks... I would have to try to fit it in amongst everything else.... but beings as it is ongoing over a long period I may be able to keep up, what's the worst that can happen.... I get behind and finish up later. I agree the last one was stunning... I have it all downloaded and in my ever growing todo list! I really like how this one is starting out and may have to give into temptation. I just ordered some new thread and may wait till it arrives Ü. Then hurry to catch up.

Noavatar
S

right now i'm eagerly awaiting the fourth row - third is finished, and i really like the restful continuity of doing the same thing all around the circle.

Fc35f3897f0da44d48c5ae30b7ec269dbbb34f10
Us
S

Very nice, not sure I will start it soon. Nt want to tat list is more than a life tine long.

Ecc3d5ff02e9bc0f4b6a51094b5a11a1469afcae
Us
S

Your piece looks very nice so far. Thank you for sharing the link. I'll try to start it this weekend if I can.

Noavatar
S

I have a quick question - on the second row, how do you join the sideways lying rings to the chain without twisting the chain? I've got the first round done, and just had to cut off the section of the second round I had done due to a knot in my thread and joining things wrong...hoping to get it right on the second attempt.

Noavatar
S

you're joining to the picot down, not up. i don't know how to explain it better - dear more experienced tatters, help?

Noavatar
S

http://www.georgiaseitz.com/classes2/joins.html don't know if this helps.

C5ec5f857e67461bff1058373718b036067c239d
Us
S

I would love to join, but I'm having trouble with the translation program. It only translates some of the pages. I've tried to capture the pattern from the notations on the photos. Is there something else that I'm missing?

B94a62d2a911b98f4691bca4051dbf8e06e89a1c
Ro
S

I join to this tat-a-long.
I start lastnight and today am on second row.
Soon will be pictures.

F7094e631b7a4081168b73bdfaa829dd8558a06e
S

Caytlyn said:

I have a quick question - on the second row, how do you join the sideways lying rings to the chain without twisting the chain? I've got the first round done, and just had to cut off the section of the second round I had done due to a knot in my thread and joining things wrong...hoping to get it right on the second attempt.

You have to work with two shuttles, not shuttle and ball. Work the chain, then change shuttles, work the ring. That way the chain will look in one direction and the rings in another direction. Then when you need to join to the ring, use the other shuttle, the same one used for the rings - Make a lock join, (or better yet, a lark's head join) be careful to keep the knot really close to the chain, and this way and the chains will not get twisted. Hope you understand. :)

Ecc3d5ff02e9bc0f4b6a51094b5a11a1469afcae
Us
S

Can this doily be done with a needle instead of a shuttle? My shuttle skills aren't very good.

Noavatar
S

all directions necessary are on the pictures - in both 2nd and 3rd row, the flowers have 2ds between picots.
i imagine it can be done with a needle, cause why not? :)

A148880a4c091ada38d2dd39dd553e2bd85f8feb
De
S

Caytlyn said:

It's a shuttle join. Do jo know how to do that already? (Here is a tute by Jane Eborall: http://www.janeeborall.freeservers.com/LockJoin.pdf and here is a picture on the page of Geogia Seitz: http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2004/joins/shtljoin.jpg)

Noavatar
S

I did a google search and found all sorts of fascinating ways to join to the other side of a chain. Eventually I settled on a reverse picot, but I guess I need some practice, because I keep ending up with a tiny little picot on the wrong side after I've joined. That might calm down with blocking at the end. As long as I do them all the same, I may end up with a design feature :)

A148880a4c091ada38d2dd39dd553e2bd85f8feb
De
S

@ Caytlyn

Start at one of the outer rings:

Ring 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 rw
Chain 8 rw
Ring 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 (sideway lying ring) rw
Chain 6-8+8-6+8. (second picot of the chain joins to round one, fourth "picot" is a simple down join to the middle picot of the second ring)

No down picots needed if starting at the outer rings...

I do hope that helps. :-)

B94a62d2a911b98f4691bca4051dbf8e06e89a1c
Ro
S

This is what I made so far:
alt
I work like Anke said.

Fd093678c4fa02263e910f70ef6ab2313580f459
Gb
S

I have been on your blog but it won't translate into English, I take it is a challenge mat and I have seen the pattern and will try and start to do this mat when I have finished Jon's challenge I am on the last row of it.
Margaret

Noavatar
S

hmmmm....I'll have to remember to try that on round 3 as I'm halfway through round 2 at the moment. Thankyou!

F19fd0025560187f17100f94e57d428be0207a3b
Us
S

The basic issue here is that the chain working thread is away from the ring you want to join to, therefore, the core thread is closer to the picot on the ring and the core thread makes a lock join. Think of the working thread as UP and the core thread as DOWN. Since the chain is reversed from the rings, the core thread is closer to the ring and therefore makes the join. When the chain joins to itself, then the working thread is the logical thread to join with because it is on the same side of the core thread as the picot on the chain and the closest thread to the picot being joined to. In relation to the chain, the ring picot is below it and the core thread is closest, so it makes the join. When the chain joins to a picot on the chain, the join is cap to cap and the working thread makes the join (usually the chain is backside, so it is an UP join where the loop through the picot comes UP through the picot to join).

C5ec5f857e67461bff1058373718b036067c239d
Us
S

I extracted the photo and made it the lowest layer in a drafting/drawing program. I'm drawing right over the top of the photo. I'm working on cleaning it up and putting in the numbers. White on black is hard for me to focus on, so I need the reverse coloring. I'll post and let those of you working on it and help me fill in the missing numbers. Will have to wait until tomorrow though. I'm off for my standard Friday night cards.