Logo_header

Craftree Forum Tree > Designers > What is cluny tatting?

Views: 43

What is cluny tatting?

16749c865952da1042f320222d3f37512916243d

Thread created on 1434929267 by JudithConnors.
Status: Open thread, all can read, but only members can post, Crafts: Tatting.

6fe0e0e89f8bfb3c10fe5520538c97250cddb8fb
In
S

@JudithConnors ... love that pun, too - didn't think of it (loom, Warp, etc. were more on my mind) !
You are right, though - it is becoming such an addiction that I am dreaming up various patterns & effects. Sometime in future I hope to convert them into actual tatting ;-)

@GraceT ... Diane is going to ask her grandson to make the Lego loom & if it works, she'll put in on her blog. I don't have it & my niece is now a teenager ! And I was too lazy to buy one only for a photo ;-)

Da334a13aea2cf8e5e591bea02f17479a1bf15f0
Us
S

in reply to muskaan's post:

(laughing so hard I've sneezed my tea) Amen to that, sister. OCD Rocks! (still laughing...)

Leigh

In
S

moraih said:

(laughing so hard I've sneezed my tea) Amen to that, sister. OCD Rocks! (still laughing...)

Leigh

I finally understand why I recently got a 'Jester' badge ;-D
Glad you were so amused, but a word of caution : do not read while drinking tea (or vice versa) ;-P

Stay Happy, Always, Leigh .... :-)
(((( Hugs ))))

Last edited 1438847198 by muskaan for the following reason: musing about amuse ! C'mon predictive typing, gimme break !.

In
S

Be ready to be bowled over ..... such exquisite lace & especially the tallies in freeform or otherwise.
Dana Mihulkova : http://mihulkova.lace.cz/
I can't get enough of her photo gallery !

Us
S

Seems only fair - I think I did the exact same thing to our big Kahuna my first week of grazing and sprinkling little gifts of wit over the field...

Leigh

12be48bad645eb6d2a2b5b1860b1695eca5eea96
Au
S

Dana M's work is beautiful bobbin lace with tallies. Her designs are very contemporary. It would be possible to design similar tatted lace.

Hint: Coffee/tea and lace don't mix, unless you're dyeing or antiquing. :-)

F57339e99c5de1468b7f9cec2e3a35d730c579eb
Sg
S

muskaan said:

Be ready to be bowled over ..... such exquisite lace & especially the tallies in freeform or otherwise.
Dana Mihulkova : http://mihulkova.lace.cz/
I can't get enough of her photo gallery !

Just went to take a look. It's truly amazing! She's a master at stiffening and forming, as well as bobbin lace...

In
S

I finally got another post up. This time I have included separate tutorials for Warp 4 & Warp 5 tallies in pdf files.
I just can't seem to control the length of my posts ;-(
http://www.tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.in/2015/08/broadening-our-horizons.html

@Lynn, you might perhaps enjoy the Star Trek based post, even if you dislike tallies :-)

I have introduced "one small step"... for Cluny tatting. This step obviates the necessity of removing all loops from loom/fingers before closing. This step reorganizes the sequence of stacking/overlapping of loops.

My next post is hopefully going to be much more interesting, with so many shapes & effects to show, as well as tips & tricks to share.

1e6f8a64e2af9ab805c69d70e85448cf81b54682
Cn
S

Very informative and highly entertaining post, Muskaan. Please note, I do not 'dislike tallies' as a generic whole. I simply don't like them in my tatting. However, if I were to tat 3-D flowers, like Linda S. Davies or Judith Connors, I can see a definite application for them. Although I freely admit that you boldly going where no one has gone before into multiple 'warps' leaves me quite befuddled. Let's just hope this doesn't become a five year mission for you. There are too many other things out there to explore.

In
S

in reply to Lynn's post:

Hello Lynn ....
Smiling away broadly, coz that is the title of my last post in this series "where no man has gone before" !!!!
Don't know how far it is true, but the shapes & effects I've managed to 'come up with' (execution notwithstanding) ... well I haven't seen any yet....All in playful trials ....
As for a 5 year mission .... Hmmmm it already seems like ages, though just about one month has lapsed. There is still so much left to experiment, but running out of time. "I'm giving her all I've got" at the moment.

But the Shapes/forms/effects post will be the last in this series for the present. Got a few commitments I Must work on before I can get back to exploring & experimenting. I will Not be tempted, fingers crossed ;-D

My perspective is also 3D, Lynn. I just love the potential of this technique in 3D tatting. I'm just no good at designing 2D patterns, but do enjoy tatting & creating freeform & dimensional pieces.

Thanks for checking out the post :-)

Au
S

Wow, Spock! You've passed warp speed a couple of times! I loved reading your posts while in orbit. We all appreciate that you have gone where no other has gone before. Now we have to follow.

In
S

in reply to JudithConnors's post:

Hello Judith ... I'm blushing and grinning at the same time :-D
Don't know what to say ....want to be punny but seem to have exhausted all the puns !
And "Spock" ... wow that's quite the Clunying Glory of my playful experimentation ...
Seriously, though, I've become quite loony about the Cluny, hahaha

Thank you for your lovely words ....am still so happy & grinning broadly !

In
S

" .... where no man has gone before"
Cluny tatting Shapes, Forms, & Effects .... post is uploaded here : http://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.in/2015/08/cluny-tatting-shapes-effects.html

Will add pics later .... running for now ...

Last edited 1440166916 by muskaan.

86b48f3fd1dba94b01db1d8074e87b8025aa60aa
Us
S

Muskaan: wonderful work! thanks so much for your generosity and sharing your tips. I am hoping that pretty soon when my little daughter goes to school I will have a little more time to sit down and put in practice your tips :)
Here is a cluny sample of my practice with four strands. I call this one: "Flowering cactus"
alt-text

Last edited 1440171094 by Lmieczko.

Us
S

That looks very cool, Lmieczko. I could see that trimming the pockets of jeans or a Western shirt very easily!

I'm back from Kansas with my mom! Still working on getting her room to her liking...

Leigh

F57339e99c5de1468b7f9cec2e3a35d730c579eb
Sg
S

Wow-wow-wow, @Muskaan! Your shuttle has indeed boldly gone where no shuttle has ventured before!
And I like your rule of thumb: the number of passes in a tally = number of ds in a ring of the same size. A pass is a back-&-forth, right?

In
S

Thanks @Lmieczko & @GraceT & @jenninbrissy :-)
Laura, your Flowering Cactus is spectacular ! If you don't mind, I'd like to make a couple of guesses to see if I can figure it out ( I am quite flummoxed )

1. Make the lower half-closed ring as a split ring ; make tally ; make the top 3 rings & hide thread tails within.

2.A hanging Cluny leaf, where the rings were made ahead on the loom thread, before actual weaving of tally.

1. A split Cluny leaf I am so eager to see what more you come up with . Very inspiring and challenging :-)

Grace, 1 weave or wrap is made of 2 passes - in either direction. For right-handers .... 1st pass is right to left and 2nd pass is from left to right.

The thumb rule is very logical really : in a normal ring 1ds is made of 2 half stitches. The space taken by this ds is almost the same as that occupied by 1 weave made of 2 passes .

I have a table in my 1st post on Cluny Tatting Tips where I kind of showed how similar Cluny Tatting is to tatting rings ... may not stand up to scientific/technical scrutiny, but gives a gist of the conceptual & procedural similarities between the two.

@Lynn .... the Rolling Lattice Cluny Leaf is dedicated to you. :-) Hope you like it.

Au
S

Just spent time reading your blog, Muskaan. WOW! Who would have thought that my earlier challenge to you would have generated such wonderful results in contemporary Cluny tatting? I like the idea of 'encapsulating' other threads in the tallies.

Last edited 1440282408 by JudithConnors.

In
S

in reply to JudithConnors's post:

Good morning, Judith
Thank you for reading through & enjoying some of my playful explorations :-)
I do love challenges, so keep them coming :-D
All these wouldn't have been possible without your loom, because it is much easier to experiment on the card loom than on the hand - I could stop, unweave, reweave, alter ... and there are so many disruptions in daily living that one can't go around with one's fingers engaged in the loom, midway through a tally ;-)

Last night I completed another 'challenge' thrown to me by Georgia Seitz. I finally figured out the Eleonore Endrucks' pattern & now have to sit & write it out in modern terms along with diagrams. These take up far more time than the actual tatting does, but labour is never lost hopefully.

Us
S

Muskaan. glad you liked my little cactus :)
I tatted my little "flowering cactus" with the regular needle tatting using my hand, not the paper loom. I begun with the three top rings, then the Cluny, and then the open split ring. It was a fun little project, and I was pleased because with practice it's becoming easier to identify what loops to close first.
Also, I like weaving with the long needle tatting, instead of a short needle, because in each pass I can push down and rearrange the threads so it looks as tight as possible. Happy tatting with cluny/tallies :)

Us
S

After playing so much with four-threads Cluny/tallies using my hand, needle tatting, and paper loom I got a little courage to try again, and make three-thread shuttle Cluny/tallies...here is a pic of my result. I'm getting over the fear squeal
alt-text

F19fd0025560187f17100f94e57d428be0207a3b
Us
S

Bravo! I don't know if anyone has explained how to widen the clunies by increasing each side by the width of one thread. The plumper they are, the nicer they look. You are definitely on the trail of success. Well done! By the way, I have never seen an arrangement quite like yours. It has my brain on fire!

Us
S

PattyD : just double checking, was your comment for one of my pics? if so...Yay! thanks so much
Making tallies wider is still in practice :)

In
S

in reply to Lmieczko's post:

I need to get my head turned (or tuned ) ;-P .... I got so used to making the tally from the base (so to speak) in the GeomaTaTic tally shapes, that if didn't occur to look from the other direction .... mindset in so short a time is not good for experimentation ;-)
Thanks for the explanation. And your Warp 3 tallies are Perfect :-) Happy Dancing !