Logo_header

Craftree Forum Tree > InTatters Forums for Shuttle and Needle Tatting > Padded Double Stitch

Views: 2206

Padded Double Stitch

F021e090509a545b9a72e368067ca336232ddf6b

Thread created on 1398583409 by JudithConnors.

04327f777a0d07a3034477ee4d1189b9581d47a1
S

Dear Judith ,

Good Morning. Sounds like .. "any more trials?".. The next thing would be to check when to use which type of wrapping/padding to have the right visual effect.
Certainly on the structures where the effect is stiffness required is more.
Need time..

Best Regards
Usha

12be48bad645eb6d2a2b5b1860b1695eca5eea96
Au
S

Perhaps a summary would be helpful at this point?

• 'Padding' tatting has been done for over a century. The earliest practices were padded pearl tatting, and the use of uneven thicknesses of threads. These padded the core thread, mostly.
  • Rhoda L. Auld experimented with wrapping the double stitch itself, and in 1974 published her 'self-padded double stitch' and 'self-padded ring'. This could be applied to equal and unequal numbers of wraps, on either half-stitch.
  • In 2008 Ruth Perry applied one extra wrap to each half-stitch, calling this a 'balanced double stitch'. It is only one of the possibilities of self-padding double stitches.
  • This thread has investigated Rhoda Auld's approach to equal and unequal numbers of wraps, and chosen to call the result the 'padded double stitch' - pds(1,3), 1 and 3 indicating the number of wraps on the half-stitches, or pds(2,2).
  • Padded double stitches may be applied, for effect, to known elements in tatting. However, the adage 'Less is more' is advised, as over-padding could alter the integrity of the known elements.

04327f777a0d07a3034477ee4d1189b9581d47a1
S

Good Morning Judith,

Perfect. Very "Balanced" summary. May be, we can now carry forward as a notes into Craftree.

Best Regards
USha

6fe0e0e89f8bfb3c10fe5520538c97250cddb8fb
In
S

I have finally uploaded a post about the pds : http://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.in/2015/11/pds-padded-double-stitch.html
I have included a tabulated comparison of the s-p ds, BDS, DDS .... here's the pdf : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MqI5ByadI4UjFKdDhTazVyZkk/view?usp=sharing

There's also a pictorial on how to make the wrap in a 3rd way.

C5ec5f857e67461bff1058373718b036067c239d
Us
S

Those are all shuttle methods in the chart, right?

For needle tatting there are at least three ways to add to the core-- pad the stitch -- in addition to the method for doing the balanced double stitch.

1. With the core thread t hrough the needle, the thread end is usually free, and shorter than the thread length between the needle and the first ds on the needle. If you pull the end of the thread until it is the same length as the distance to the stitch, when you pull the stitches off the the needle there will be two core threads and perhaps a bit of the thread end sticking out. You can trim this to be even with the ds, or pull it out until it is even.

2. Using the magic thread trick where not required to hide an end, just to pad an element. (stiffens up floppy sections where the tension is inadequate). This leaves an isolated bit of thread in an element. I don't know if it will stay put, or if washing, and using the tatting can cause it to migrate.

3. Hiding ends with magic thread trick does add to the core, whether at the beginning or end.

4. Double needles (parallel)... later.

I know of only one way to make the bds using needles. Wrap your finger twice before transferring the loops to your needle. I need to look into the chart more. I'm off to music class.

Last edited 1448400645 by Judy.

6fe0e0e89f8bfb3c10fe5520538c97250cddb8fb
In
S

in reply to Judy's post:

This is very interesting & informational, Judy.
Yes, the entire post was about shuttle tatting, since that what I understand. However, I did add a direct quote from you, towards the end. In Sec VII.

Thank you so much for sharing. I will look forward to your feedback and input.