Logo_header

Craftree Forum Tree > InTatters Forums for Shuttle and Needle Tatting > Make a 90 degree angle on chain ?

Views: 1592

Make a 90 degree angle on chain ?

F021e090509a545b9a72e368067ca336232ddf6b

Thread created on 1391348027 by muskaan.

04327f777a0d07a3034477ee4d1189b9581d47a1
S

I realised just now that in TRIAL V : you have already tried what I posted just now. :-)
Cool. Absolute learning!
Thank you

6fe0e0e89f8bfb3c10fe5520538c97250cddb8fb
In
S

GraceT said:

Wow! I am really impressed. I think you've certainly done enough to pick a method of making your corner - except that, for the extra core thread (2. in Trial I), did you skip a couple of stitches at the corner? The extra core thread is supposed to not be included at the corner, then you pull it tight, and the circle (a ring usually, not a chain) will become a square. Have a look here: http://www.tatting.de/dol/eckiger_ring.html (I haven't tried it myself so far. )

Mea culpa ! You caught me out, Grace :-)
I used the extra thread along with core thread All Through. No wonder !!!
I remember pinning & bookmarking that tutorial & even trying to understand it - it was beyond me at the time. (I had even bought new set of plastic shuttles for the purpose - didn't want to spoil my favorite steel ones!). But now, having done this little trial, I'm ready to give it another go.
I'm pretty sure this should work even on a chain, as it has on the ring !
Thanks for the reminder !
I've learnt & been pushed to learn so much in these brief few days at InTatters !

In
S

Usha said:

Hello Muskaan

I think if I were to learn something, honestly, I would try, always something like what you did to this until one gets to the core of the subject.
Thank you for making all these trials for us to choose and pick up the effect that we want when we want fancy chains.

In your TRIAL I : I think #1 is what sits in my head w/o a picot for the angular chain, Wanted to know if you have a pic w/o the picot, how the effect looks like
I have some comments on the way you tried BDS in TRIAL I: The BDS 2 together was Judy recommending at the corner. When the stitches are pulled close, they make the corner bulky and firm. Depending on the thread size, you observe the smooth 90 deg. turn inside the bend, not outside for the reason that 2 caps together spread it over a corner. Also, the inside effect is not visible until you have good count of stitches on the chain where you can adjust the angle appearance by adjusting the stitches. The chain forms like a rectangle with rounded corners.
2, vsp roll join # 7/#8 in TRIAL I :- I tried vsp ds, roll join from the backwards. This seem to give the sharp corner, may be we should try vsp bds roll join.

Best Regards
Usha

Usha, I, too, like #1 of Trial I - both for its simplicity & ease as well as its effectiveness. But no, I do not have a pic - will make one & send soon.
As regards BDS for corner, I was actually a bit flummoxed when it didn't turn out the way you mentioned - your trial was so much more positive about the result. After thinking through, this is what came to mind :
intatters-attachment
2 adjacent BDS, because of their 'straight' edges, leave a much larger space if one wants to turn a corner. Normal DS, because of their slightly shorter lower span (inverted trapezoid-like), leave less space; hence the core thread has a shorter distance to cover than the working thread.
So, once this geometry came to mind, I tried the SCMR between 2 BDS (Trial IV), which seemed to work fairly well.

Re. vsp roll join - yes, I too joined from behind. But it was my first time doing it in Trial I... When I tried it with only 1ds between the 2 vsps, then joining with roll join (Trial V), I got nice results. My inference : One has to take into account the thickness, etc. of the thread being used & see how many ds (or their halves) are required.

Let me also reiterate : I definitely felt that the type of thread used altered the applicability & effectiveness of the corner, irrespective of which technique was used.
The white thread was a Red Heart #20 - I was not happy about working with it - too stiff & seemed thinner !
The green glitter thread was Anchor #20 - I think was was too soft.
Last 3 trials used Anchor #20 left over from my TIAS - I loved working with these. Right amount of thickness & 'stiffness'/pliability.

Attachment:

untitled  a.jpg

F57339e99c5de1468b7f9cec2e3a35d730c579eb
Sg
S

I'm amazed that you've made so many trials in such a short time! And I hope you now have success squaring the chain with the extra core thread. BTW, is the roll join the same as the slope and roll join?

In
S

GraceT said:

I'm amazed that you've made so many trials in such a short time! And I hope you now have success squaring the chain with the extra core thread. BTW, is the roll join the same as the slope and roll join?

All at the cost of my knitting WIP which has remained a WIP ever since I became active on InTatters ;-/ !!!

Yes, sorry for the error (I was too lazy to go back & check the exact term). The roll join I mention is the Slope & Roll Join.

In
S

GraceT said:

Wow! I am really impressed. I think you've certainly done enough to pick a method of making your corner - except that, for the extra core thread (2. in Trial I), did you skip a couple of stitches at the corner? The extra core thread is supposed to not be included at the corner, then you pull it tight, and the circle (a ring usually, not a chain) will become a square. Have a look here: http://www.tatting.de/dol/eckiger_ring.html (I haven't tried it myself so far. )

C'est parfait !!! I corrected my error & it turned out be The Best Technique for getting a nice 90deg angle even in a chain !
I deliberately used blue for the core thread; but used the same yellow colour for the extra core thread. What I enjoyed Most about doing this, was Pulling the core thread tight !!! Almost miraculously, the entire chain became a square ! ALthough, if one thinks about it, it Does conform to the geometry I spoke of earlier ;-)
One point : For the 1st corner I made 2 ds. Mistake. ... 1 ds is sufficient to get a nice little corner.

intatters-attachmentintatters-attachment

Thanks again, to All you helpful people :-)

Attachment:

squre1.jpg

Attachment:

square b.JPG

Sg
S

Yippee!! So glad to have helped you achieve your goal.

C5ec5f857e67461bff1058373718b036067c239d
Us
S

Wonderful discussion and experiment! Thanks to our original query and the curiosity of others willing to test we have a whole collection of different visual results. Now, we can all choose the look we prefer and can pull up the answer... except for slope and roll, which is the only one I don't know how to do. Thank you All!

Sg
S

Judy, you can read about slope-&-roll here: http://www.ds9designs.com/patterns_free.shtml

Scroll all the way to the bottom for the links.

C5ec5f857e67461bff1058373718b036067c239d
Us
S

Thanks.. Used to visit that site often but hadn't been in a while. Its like seeing old familiar friends. I can needle tat those.

In
S

Grace, I simply LOVE the emoticons you choose :-)
And I learned the Slope & Roll Join from the same link. I like the diagrammatic explanations of all 3 joins there & have downloaded on my mobile for constant reference, as & when required. Came in handy (CWJ) when tatting your 3 little hearts!

Judy, thank you for your contribution & comments. I follow some of the prompt advice & suggestions you have on other threads as well :-)

Valuable inputs & observations from everybody !

Sg
S

Yay! We're all so happy when we've helped someone figure things out.

51d246b0a317f7f1f3577fffa9a85bbb1d2a56cb
S

Hi Muskaan,

I'm sorry I didn't spot this discussion earlier because I too was on the search for a nice point on a chain and tried different things unsuccessfully until I came up with the idea of the one-stitch SCMR. I was looking at a design I'd made using SCMRs and noticed how the curve under SCMRs was much more angular and that this could be used to advantage by making only one stitch (which also looks pointy) and benefitting from the angle below too.

I made a video of this yesterday, here is the link, should it be of any use to anyone.

Very interesting to follow your investigations! I need to read through the whole thread in detail now as I'm not sure yet what your conclusion is!! :-)

Last edited 1393777648 by Frivole.

In
S

Frivole said:

Hi Muskaan,

I'm sorry I didn't spot this discussion earlier because I too was on the search for a nice point on a chain and tried different things unsuccessfully until I came up with the idea of the one-stitch SCMR. I was looking at a design I'd made using SCMRs and noticed how the curve under SCMRs was much more angular and that this could be used to advantage by making only one stitch (which also looks pointy) and benefitting form the angle below too.

I made a video of this yesterday, here is the link, should it be of any use to anyone.

Very interesting to follow your investigations! I need to read through the whole thread in detail now as I'm not sure yet what your conclusion is!! :-)

Frivole, that is a very helpful video with clear instructions ! I'm sure it will come in handy to all tatters :-)

As regards the conclusion, I think we can call it a kind of academic exercise where we've all contributed our suggestions & ideas & Usha & I have tried them all out to see how each works/appears. Kind of like curating. And then we noted down the advantages, limitations, uses/applications of each. All of the technique can be used for some project or other, at some time or another.
There is no One Over-riding conclusion.
But the 1SSCMR definitely is a very easy & quick way of achieving a corner.

Thanks, Frivole, for sharing :-)

51d246b0a317f7f1f3577fffa9a85bbb1d2a56cb
S

My pleasure!

And that's a good point Muskaan: all the techniques achieve different looks which can all be useful.